Re: Problem with sata raid controler on debain installation

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:46:47PM -0400, madjid Oudai wrote:
> I tried to install debian on Intel D925XECV2 mother bord with Intel
> 82801FR SATA raid controler  and 2 hard disks. I disabled The Raid
> drive in the bios and I delete Raid 1 whith raid utilities.
>
> The first time, I started with DebianInstaller CD on default mode, On
> "partition disk" step, the background became red ant this error
> message apears "No partitionable media were found".
>
> The second time, I started with DebianInstaller CD on "linux26" mode,
> On "Detect and mount cd-rom" step, The cd-rom drive wasn't detected. I
> found in Debain Errata that the sata controler is blocking access the
> cd drive.
>
> The third time, I startet with DebianInstaller CD on "Expert26" mode,
> On "Detect and mount cd-rom" step, I unselect sata driver (ata_piix).
> Then, cd-rom drive was detected and installtion continued but On
> "partition disk" step, the background became red ant this error
> message appeared "No partitionable media were found".
>
> If DebianInstaller doesn't include a driver for my INTEL 82801fr sata
> raid controller, how can I include it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide

Well in my experience the intel sata controllers work best with linux
2.6 when the bios is set to enhanced/native mode for the sata
controller.  Any combined/compatibility mode seems to cause trouble.

Also, as far as I know, there is no support for SATA cdrom/dvd drives at
this time, so if you have one of those, you may need to go borrow
another cd/dvd drive that uses normal ide instead to do the install.
SATA ATAPI is being worked on, and the code aprtially works, but not
completely yet, so it isn't enabled.

Could you include a more complete list of the hd and dvd drive types you
are using?

Len Sorensen