Re: A test case for the gtk frontend

Hi frans & all the ML

Frans Pop ha scritto:
On Saturday 30 April 2005 00:01, attilio wrote:

you can download the test case i actually use to develop the gtk fe;
here i'll try to explain how to use it.
Shortly, you must launch the debian-installer and then add "on the
fly" some files to the ramdisk filesystem to be able to continue the
installation with the gtk fe.

I've been playing around with this a bit (booted d-i with the 2.6 kernel).

usually the 2.4 kernel makes the frontend more stable

The first challenge was to get my USB mouse working.
I managed this by insmodding the evdev and psmouse modules. These are not yet available as an udeb, so I suggest adding an "input-mouse" udeb for kernel-wedge, at least for i386.

Me too i've noticed the mouse support is not enabled with 2.6 kernel; an udeb is needed, as we'll need to create udebs for the dfb , gtk, pango, atk etc etc libraries that are needed by the gtk fe. A problem i noticed is that language and locale settings are asked before udebs are loaded, so we should load all the udebs first and start the fronted in a second time if we want to have a full-gtk frontend.

The second thing I noticed is that if I execute dfb-test twice, my laptop freezes completely after I click the "hello world" button.

this is strange: hello world it doesn't crashe on my pc nor in qemu; anyway the bugs are still many..

The graphical d-i interface started without problems. Great job!

Some things to watch out for:
- the installer really must be on the main menu on VT1

I cannot understand this, what do you mean? could you tell me more?

- the screen is not restored when you switch back to the graphical
  installer after switching to another (text) terminal.

to switch between gfx and text modes you must press ctrl+f12 when in dfb mode, so that by pressing alt+f1/f2 tou can go to the shell to inspect, for example, syslog, then press alt+ f6 to switch back to the gtk fe ();this should work without problems

Unfortunately for some reason I wasn't able to get past hardware detection. There are a lot of things that need to be polished, but that is only to be expected at this stage and it's very nice to be able to play around with this!

have fun! ;)

Cheers,
FJP