Re: A test case for the gtk frontend

Hi Attilio,

Thanks for your answers. They really gave some useful info on how the
frontend can be used (I never thought to try switching to one of the
higher VTs...).

On Sunday 01 May 2005 13:31, attilio wrote:
> Me too i've noticed the mouse support is not enabled with 2.6  kernel;
> an udeb is needed,

A patch to create a mouse udeb has been committed to SVN now, so mouse
support should be more easily available in the future.

> as we'll need to create udebs for the dfb , gtk,
> pango, atk etc etc libraries that are needed by the gtk fe.

Some udebs are already there (like the freetype udeb), others will have to
be defined/modified in the respective source packages.

> A problem i noticed is that language and locale settings are asked
> before udebs are loaded, so we should load all the udebs first and
> start the fronted in a second time if we want to have a full-gtk
> frontend.

No, not quite. udebs that are present on the initrd are loaded _before_
language selection. So we just need to have these udebs available and
create a custom initrd for testing the graphical interface. This is not
actually very hard once the necessary libraries, fonts and such are
available as udebs.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I've not yet tried the X version you sent; hope to do that soon.