GTK fe, some purposes for future development

Hi everyone

In the last days i've tried to understand the reason of the strange crashes and memory couuption problems of the debian-installer; this is a list of the most annoyng/strange bugs showed

-If i call getpid() from inside gtk_initialize() the frontend crashes, while if i compile a single "hello world" gtkdfb test app and i call getpid from within it this doesn't happen. Maybe this happens because the "manual initialization" of the parameters passed to the gtk_init()? i've also asked for help on this point in the dfb developers mailing list but i couldn't get any help.

-The question list needs to by modifyed by hand (the prev ptrs must be set to null) before returning from gtk_go() or the fe crashes.

-the progress bar val and info params are trashed

Yesterday i've also tried to recompile newt.so for study purposes but, even if it compiled wth no problems, it crashed at the end of newt_initialize(); this is very strange!

All those points make me think there must be some bugs not strictly related to the gtk frontend that prevent its further development, so here i'm proposing you to some ways to go around the problem

-I could crate a "testcase" for the gtk frontend: this would be a simple program that runs on a normal linux x working environement that lets the user to setup a list of questions , passes them to the gtk.so (that could be now be compiled against a standard, bugfree, X gtk) and shows the modifications made to the list by the fe after it has returned. This would allow to debug the gtk fe (and any other frontend in the future) without having to worry about strange bugs that are not related to the frontend.

-We could switch to gtk over plain framebuffer instead over directfb (this is a hint that gave me cj watson some time ago); yesterday i tried to complile gtk against fb but i couldn't get it to work, as that gdk layer is broken and unmaintained; could that be this a good idea, if someone fixes up the gtk-fb support?

I really need your opinions and help since it's two weeks now i'm stuck with the same problems.

ciao

Attilio