Re: Make the system bootable, was: beta 2 update

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 08:07:36PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:30:30PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> [snippage]

> I'm coming into this thread uberlate so feel free to flame me for talking
> uninformed but...

> > Two points:

> > - I don't believe that new Linux users trying to dual-boot Windows and
> >   Linux are the primary audience that the installer has to cater to.
> >   They're important, but I think that Debian in particular has tended
> >   to be better at attracting users from other Linux distributions than
> >   from the Windows world.

> How hard would it be to look at the partition table, and if there's a
> Windows partition there, add (or ask to add) a block to the the LILO or GRUB
> config to allow it to be booted? It would save the potential new users who
> are savvy enough to have installed Debian into a separate partition to
> Windows, but not necessary know how to get their machine to boot into it
> again after installation.

It should be very possible; I think the woody installer did handle this
scenario correctly.  This is yet another reason why I don't think it
should be necessary to ask the user whether to install a boot block,
when all is said and done.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer