Re: Make the system bootable, was: beta 2 update

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:30:30PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

[snippage]

I'm coming into this thread uberlate so feel free to flame me for talking
uninformed but...

> Two points:
>
> - I don't believe that new Linux users trying to dual-boot Windows and
>   Linux are the primary audience that the installer has to cater to.
>   They're important, but I think that Debian in particular has tended
>   to be better at attracting users from other Linux distributions than
>   from the Windows world.

How hard would it be to look at the partition table, and if there's a
Windows partition there, add (or ask to add) a block to the the LILO or GRUB
config to allow it to be booted? It would save the potential new users who
are savvy enough to have installed Debian into a separate partition to
Windows, but not necessary know how to get their machine to boot into it
again after installation.

regards

Andrew