Re: gtk frontend status report

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:30:45PM +0100, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> tis 2002-12-31 klockan 15.13 skrev Junichi Uekawa:
> > > Since anna only handles udebs and the initial ramdisk is limited there
> > > is a need to package the prerequisite libraries into udebs.
> >
> > I would personally rather have anna only bootstrap enough so that
> > apt works, than trying to have packages to be turned into
> > udebs, or get anna working with installing debs if necessary.
>
> anna knows nothing about udebs or debs, all it cares about is that the
> retriever gets (or in the case of the floppy retriever, invents) a
> Packages file. The Packages file has Filename: fields that are used for
> getting the (u)debs.
>
> The restriction is in dependency handling, and in what udpkg can handle.
>

> /Martin

So what can udpkg handle? If we don't have to make all these udebs, we
could move on to other things.

Sebastian and I have spent a lot of time on this, that we could've
spent on other parts of d-i. If we should follow another method, then
we should start on that method now.

I agree that making all these udebs sucks, and it will take time to
get them all correct.

I think we all want

1. a graphical frontend
2. that works with a net install

So, Sebastian and I are working on udebs, so that the graphical
envorinment (glib, pango, gtk-directfb) can be retrieved once the
initial ramdisk is up and running.

Yes, we could slap together a live filesystem with X on it if we want,
and I'm sure some people will make cd images like that. But, it would
be great if you could stick your debian floopy into a machine, boot
from that floppy, download the necessary components, and run a
graphical installer with gtk.

If we can do that with debs, great! If udpkg can only handle udebs,
then we'll continue on the udebs. Again, we have most of the udebs
working to some degree, but they need additional work.

One issue is that using {shlibs:Depends-udeb} doesn't seem to produce
any output. I'm guessing that's because I don't have the udebs
installed on my build machine.

Any advice here would be appreciated

michael

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Between thought and expression lies a lifetime."
- Lou Reed