gtk frontend status report

I've finally managed to build, but not test, udebs for glib, pango,
and gtk+-directfb.

After building 3 udebs, I finally have an idea of how it should be
done, I think.

I've uploaded all of them to:

people.debian.org/~mbc/udebs

These still need a lot of work, and they need to be combined with some
udebs from Sebastian, but we're making some progress.

If someone could take a look at these and send some complaints, tips,
suggestions, flames, etc, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I'm
not an expert in gnome or on library packages, so I could really use
any advice. I've emailed the maintainers for some of these packages,
and not gotten much response.

I'm still working on these, I was just happy to see the .udeb files
with anything in them, heh.

Our general plan at this point is that the user will begin the install
in text mode and then have the option to select another frontend (the
frontend chooser isn't even begun yet, I don't think). Once it is
chosen, the necessary udebs will be downloaded and installed. That is
why we made udebs for pango, and gtk-directfb.

Sebastian also has debs ready for the rest of the dependencies, except
for atk.

I know that this is still a mess at this point, but there's a lot to
do so I'm trying to get something working and have the fine details
worked out later.

thanks in advance

  michael

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Great Faith.
 Great Doubt.
 Great Effort."
- The Three Qualities Necessary for Training