Re: Bugs report

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 07:39:06PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> it has to be a kernel issue, the thing is drow, nor any of the powerpc
> kernel hackers have any idea why the kernel does not accept keyboard
> input when it asks for the root floppy.  (its the same root disk
> prompt you get on the intel boot floppies)
>
> my guess is the input layer stuff broke something, but i don't have
> any evidence and have no mac with a floppy drive to tinker with.
>
> my humble suggestion is if you can't get the kernel to accept keyboard
> input, then have it wait for 15 seconds or so and then just start
> reading /dev/fd0 for a root floppy.  (perhaps a nicer solution would
> be to detect the floppy insertion, which is possible with mac floppy
> hardware, but this likely is more complicated to implement then a
> simple timeout.)

Shouldn't be that hard actually.  I just don't have time.  Heck, I'm
not going to have time to build b-f at all for another week.

The swim3 code has almost everything necessary to do this; look at
swim3_revalidate and fs->ejected.  We could write a busy loop to poll
that EASILY, and bypass the keyboard issue.  I don't have time to test
it.

I may be able to write it if someone else can test it though.  I'll try
to mail it in a day or two.

> i really really hope some *any* fix to this can be found for r3, its
> getting quite old answering the `the boot disk asks for a root disk
> and freezes'  question 5 times a day...

Yup.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team