Re: Bugs report

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 09:34:42PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
>
> > its a well known thorn^Wproblem that appeared in the 2.2.18 boot
> > floppies, AFAIK no solution has yet been found.  other then using the
> > 2.2.17 boot floppies instead.  this bug does make this boot floppy
> > worthless for oldworld PowerMacs, the only other way to install is if
> > the user has MacOS (and not all do).
>
> Oh that is evil evil evil!  Is it is kernel issue?  PowerPC kernel was
> last updated in bf 2.2.19, at least according to the changelogs.

it has to be a kernel issue, the thing is drow, nor any of the powerpc
kernel hackers have any idea why the kernel does not accept keyboard
input when it asks for the root floppy.  (its the same root disk
prompt you get on the intel boot floppies)

my guess is the input layer stuff broke something, but i don't have
any evidence and have no mac with a floppy drive to tinker with.

my humble suggestion is if you can't get the kernel to accept keyboard
input, then have it wait for 15 seconds or so and then just start
reading /dev/fd0 for a root floppy.  (perhaps a nicer solution would
be to detect the floppy insertion, which is possible with mac floppy
hardware, but this likely is more complicated to implement then a
simple timeout.)

i really really hope some *any* fix to this can be found for r3, its
getting quite old answering the `the boot disk asks for a root disk
and freezes'  question 5 times a day...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/