Re: not i18ned part in b-f 2.2.15

Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> writes:

> In <[🔎] 20000704225914.3986a4a7.yosshy@debian.or.jp>,
>  at "Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:59:14 +0900",
>  with "not i18ned part in b-f 2.2.15",
>   Akira YOSHIYAMA <yosshy@debian.or.jp> writes:
>
> > I found that installed fresh base system (dbootstrap
> > installed it and just rebooted) isn't i18ned because of
> > dpkg-reconfigure and init.
> > In the current b-f, boot-config and dpkg-reconfigure
> > have basic system configurations of fresh Debian.
> > boot-config and dpkg-reconfigure (debconf)
> > are i18ned, but init runs dpkg-reconfigure directly
> > in the case. So no one set envronment variables
> > (include LANG,LC_MESSAGES, and LC_ALL)
> > normally set by shells and dpkg-reconfigure show us
> > only english messages. Do you wish this?

Ew -- all that work

> The current source for this is in
>   scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab.install
>
> and this has
>
>  1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&
>
> So dpkg-reconfigure is invoked by init with this line in /etc/inittab
> on the fresh installed base system.

Hmm... this is probably run by a shell, so, as a hack, couldn't we do

 1:2345:respawn:LANG=whatever LC_*=whatever /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config ...

?

> If our bf-utf8 will be completed, we may need to change this
> in order to invoke the bterm and run the dpkg-reconfigure on that.

Now with this issue added on top, I almost wonder if we shouldn't have
init invoke a wrapper which sets the lang stuff, takes care of the
bterm or whatever other console stuff, and then runs dpkg-reconfigure
?

> So if we can use some shell script (or else) here, and write
> the required process (setting appropriate variables, and invoke
> the dpkg-reconfigure and base-config, or so) in it, then it will
> make it easy for us to adopt the bf-utf8 some day.
>
> How do you think ?

Sounds good.  Volunteering?