Re: [vga16fb] `dbootstrap' starts b&w until vt change.

On Mon Feb 28, 2000 at 01:15:46PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  I fixed it by having `busybox' (which acts as `init' via a hard link)
>  do a vt switch as you suggest, when it finds out whether it's running
>  on a machine with a standard Linux console or a serial console.  If
>  it's not a serial console, it does the vt switch.

Karl,

I really think that busybox init is not the place for this.  This
creates other problems I won't get into, and is too platform and
application specific for init.

The right fix is to enable busybox's "chvt" command, and then
replace the dbootstrap entry in /etc/inittab with a script
the does something like:

    #!/bin/ash

    $(eval echo `/usr/bin/tty` | grep -q ttyS)
    if [ $? = 0 ] ; then
	    dbootstrap
	    exit 0;
    else
	    chvt 2
	    chvt 1
	    dbootstrap
    fi;

Does everybody agree?  Shall we make this change (and revert
the chvt stuff in busybox init)?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/