Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.2.6 (source all) to master

>I just had the chance to try out the new install process, and I have a
>couple of questions:

Ok, I hope you don't mind if I cc debian-boot mail list.

>The ppp configuration and start features, available in the last relese,
>are no where to be found in this new install.

Sounds like a bug in base-config....  Base-config (the pkg) is what
runs after installation; it's debconf-based.  Feel free to file bugs
against it...that's the best way to report problems on it.

>In addition, once you reboot
>the system, it is very hard to get out of the install script, once you get
>past the two kinds of install.

Can't you do cancel from base-config?

>Also, it is impossible to recover back to
>this stage, once you get out, and run pppconfig, and set up your
>connection.

Well, you should be able to cancel out, get PPP up, then rerun it --
'dpkg-reconfigure base-config' I belive.

> While this install will work fine for folks with a CD-ROM to
>load it from, the other options like ftp and nfs are worthless if you
>ethernet card only connects you to a LAN with no access to a Debian
>mirror. Is there any chance to get these features back into the boot
>floppies for this release, or are all of us with only ppp connections to
>the net SOL?

I should think so, yes.  base-config *should* know if you selected a
PPP connnection in dbootstrap (the system which runs *before* your
reboot), and offer to run pppconfig I believe.  This is the root of
your problem, no?

>I like the simplicity of the network install, but the two choices are
>pretty lame. The dummy driver can be (and probably should be) set up in
>every install that says yes to "do you have a network". This worked very
>well for my LAN, and I would like to keep it, but also add the ppp
>stuff.

What benefit does it bring?  You are saying that having dummy around
is useful for those who are on PPP gateway to LAN machines?  Or on any
box should have dummy?  Why?

>Maybe change this to a simple question: "Is this machine connected to a
>LAN?", followed by the question: "Does this machine connect using PPP?".
>I, and many others, have both and need both configured during the
>installation.

That's a good point.  Right now I think it's either/or -- it should
allow both LAN *and* PPP.  You ought to file a bug against
boot-floppies for this.

>Exiting from the "choose a path to the rescue/drivers/base file" is a bit
>difficult. Pressing return, upon entering the path to the archives,
>doesn't move on to the next screen, but only highlights an ambiguous set
>of characters. It took me several passes before I realised that I needed
>to tab to the OK button. Is there some reason for this non-standard
>behavior in data entry?

Bug already filed.  Yes, this really needs to be fixed prior to
release, I agree.

>I am in the process of updating my book for the new release, and the
>information you give me on these issues will be passed on to a wider
>audience. I need to be able to deliver accurate information on these
>points.

Good luck with the book.  I kinda wish we could unify it with the
Install Manual but oh well, I guess that's not really feasible.