Re: i18n and boot-floppies

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:

> several people have spent a large amount of time on translating
> the texts that are displayed during dbootstrap into their native
> language.

Yes -- and I have spent a large amount of time trying to also collect
documentation for other languages and provide them to users, and
enable boot-floppies (the source package) to compile this
documentation properly when doing a non-English build (although I
haven't actually tested this, which means there are probably bugs).

BTW, Martin, how is the German translation going?

> I wonder if there were already made non-english boot floppies
> for slink.  I'd like to test and provide German boot floppies
> for example.

That would be excellent.  There are a couple issues:

[slink issue] How do we provide the localized boot-floppies at the
Debian archives?  dists/slink/main/disks-i386-de, for instance?  Or
dists/slink/main/disks-i386/de ?

[potato issue] Our localized build process doesn't very efficiently
build localized boot-floppies.  AFAIK, localized boot-floppies may
*share* the base2_1.tgz and all base materials.  All a localized
boot-floppies would need is the rescue disk, drivers disk, root
filesystem, and documentation, AFAIK.  We should adapt our makefile
for this.