Using kerneld in Slink

Hi,

	Here are some observations (bugs?) of mine with regard to kerneld.

1.  	update-modules doesnt seem to add the /etc/modutils/aliases file to
the /etc/conf.modules file.
2.  	/etc/init.d/kerneld (which is obtained from the debian/rc.kerneld file
in the modutils package) has the following lines in the beginning :

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start kerneld (on-demand loading of modules)
# (see /usr/doc/modules)

KDOPT=""

test -f /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe && exit 0
test -f /sbin/kerneld || exit 0

	The test for /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe is, I assume, for detecting
whether kmod is running, and this is not the case when using the default
kernel in Slink. Hence the kerneld script exits immediately after the test
fails without starting kerneld. Thus even if /etc/modules has the "auto"
entry, kerneld doesnt start up unless the abovementioned test is commented
out.

	How flexible are the Debian boot scripts intended to be? Should
they work with both a 2.0.x kernel or a 2.2.x kernel? It seems to me that
the present /etc/init.d/kerneld script will behave correctly only under a
2.2 kernel.

Regards,
Jor-el