Re: Using kerneld in Slink

Previously Jor-el wrote:
> 1.  	update-modules doesnt seem to add the /etc/modutils/aliases file to
> the /etc/conf.modules file.

Not true. The only files it skips are files whose name ends in
.dpkg-orig, dpkg-dist or a ~. Also if a file is executable the file is
run and the output is used.

> 	The test for /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe is, I assume, for detecting
> whether kmod is running, and this is not the case when using the default
> kernel in Slink. Hence the kerneld script exits immediately after the test
> fails without starting kerneld. Thus even if /etc/modules has the "auto"
> entry, kerneld doesnt start up unless the abovementioned test is commented
> out.

Which is how it should be. kmod is started as soon as the kernel boots,
so the `auto' option in /etc/modules is now obsolete. In fact
/etc/modules can almost be considered obsolete, it has very few uses
now. And like I already explained to you: even if you run kerneld on a
2.2 kernel it has absolutely no use, since the kernel simply doesn't use
it anymore.

> 	How flexible are the Debian boot scripts intended to be? Should
> they work with both a 2.0.x kernel or a 2.2.x kernel?

Yes, and they work perfectly. I frequently switch between 2.0 and 2.2
kernels on a single system and it works perfectly.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl