Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

On Sun, 04 Apr, 1999, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Sun, 04 Apr, 1999, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > > I got a 2.2.5-ac3 kernel package ready at
> > >
> > > 	http://papadoc.solheim.se/programs/kernel/
> > >
> > > This kernel also have the /proc/.config patch applied, which I
> > > think would be good if we include in ALL of our future kernels.
> >
> > No need, take a look at /boot/config*
>
> Yes, I know, but it's more 'convinient' to have it in /proc, I think.

convinient? they are both four letters, I would look in boot before config

$ dpkg -L kernel-image-2.0.36
/.
/boot
/boot/config-2.0.36
/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36
/boot/System.map-2.0.36

[SNIP]

Well that is the first place I would have looked.

> Besides, I don't like the '/boot/config-<VERSION>' and the
> '/boot/System.map-<VERSION>' thingies...
>
> It would be better if you had:
>
> 	/boot/vmlinuz-<VERSION>
> 	/boot/vmlinuz-<VERSION>.System.map
> 	/boot/vmlinuz-<VERSION>.config

what? why does adding vmlinuz on the front help?

> This way, you can start klogd like so:
>
> 	/sbin/klogd -k /boot/vmlinuz-<VERSION>.System.map
>
> Hmmm, come to think of it, you can start it 'your' way to, but
> my way makes them group together with the kernel. Very convinient
> if you have a lot of kernels laying around.

My way, I did not mention system.map.

So the benifits of having /proc/.config (you can not even find it unless you
KNOW it is there). are nil and the disadvantage is increased kernel size (5k!)
and the ability to only see the config of one installed kernel (not all of
them).

I wonder why it has not made it into Linus' official source tree :-)

--
I consume, therefore I am