Re: boot disk comments

On 22 Feb 1999 16:21:11 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> said:
> I don't know what you mean by 'proceeded'.  All pppconfig does is
> create a set of files in /etc/chatscripts and /etc/ppp/peers.  I'm
> guessing that what happened was that pppconfig helped your friend
> create a connection named, e.g., 'my_isp' and then exited, having
> doen its job.  dboot (also known as dinstall) then proceeded to run
> 'pon' with no arguments, causing pon to default to 'provider' as the
> isp name.  This is a known bug in dboot.

In dbootstrap you mean?

Is it a known bug?  First I've heard of that.  What we've done is
simply added to the documentation (does anyone read that??) that they
should name their ISP 'provider'.

Can you submit a bug against dbootstrap saying how we should handle
this instead?

What I would prefer is some switch on the invokation of pppconfig,
such that it's in 'single-minded' mode, that is, it will only
create/modify the ISP named 'provider' and not allow you to create or
edit any other ISP.  Would this be possible?  I think it would make
life easier for both you (the pppconfig maintainer) and us (the
boot-floppies team).

>> pppconfig seems to be overkill here, since only one connection
>> looks reasonable at this stage, while the program makes sure the
>> user can configure as many connections as he wishes

> I offered to write a special simplified version of pppconfig
> (perhaps with a command-line flag to turn off the provider screen).

Doh!  Exactly what I was saying above!

Yes, that would be great, but why have a special version of the
program; better to just have a new flag to do this.  This even seems
like something we could maybe sneak into slink too, if it's not much
of a code change for you.