Re: boot disk comments

Michael Sobolev writes:
> A friend of mine (who had experienced a crash of his Debian system) has
> tried to install Debian using the latest boot disks he found.

What version?

> when he came to pppconfig, the latter asked for the provider's name, but
> proceeded with the default `provider'

I don't know what you mean by 'proceeded'.  All pppconfig does is create a
set of files in /etc/chatscripts and /etc/ppp/peers.  I'm guessing that
what happened was that pppconfig helped your friend create a connection
named, e.g., 'my_isp' and then exited, having doen its job.  dboot (also
known as dinstall) then proceeded to run 'pon' with no arguments, causing
pon to default to 'provider' as the isp name.  This is a known bug in
dboot.

> pppconfig seems to be overkill here, since only one connection looks
> reasonable at this stage, while the program makes sure the user can
> configure as many connections as he wishes

I offered to write a special simplified version of pppconfig (perhaps with
a command-line flag to turn off the provider screen).
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)