Re: Installing Debian on Qnap TS-219 PII

Hi,

> Am 12.11.2012 13:37, schrieb Arnaud Patard "(Rtp):
>> It would be interesting to look at how "pic_raw 103" is working. For
>> instance, maybe booting the stock os, use pic_raw and then reboot may
>> disable the watchdog. Unfortunately, uboot may restart/reconfigure the
>> watchdog.
>
> It seems pic_raw is just opening the character device /dev/pic and writes
> single chars to it. Unfortunately, the pic driver seems to be specific
> to the Qnap kernel and is not included in the mainline kernel so it
> seems using pic_raw was off the table anyway.

ok. I was assuming it was userspace-only/using the serial port.

>> An other possibility is to try something like echo -n 'g' > /dev/ttyS1
>> after booting the installer. This may be dangerous. I'm assuming that
>> the PIC is connected on the serial port 1 and that pic_raw is only
>> writing a char to the serial port like on other qnap. This may be wrong
>> so it may 'upset' the ucontroller and break something.
>
> Indeed this device seems to be the way to talk to it on a normal system.
> After digging some more around I found qcontrol
> (http://code.google.com/p/qcontrol/ ) which uses this to communicate
> with the PIC to do things like fan control and beeping and is already
> included in the Debian installer for the Qnap devices. It write the
> hexadecimal representation of the decimal pic_raw commands to the
> device. It was quite easy to add another function to write "0x67" which
> effectively disabled the PIC watchdog. (If anyone wants to play with
> qcontrol I would recommend using the Debian sources since they support
> more devices than upstream)
>
> So after recompiling qcontrol and disabling the PIC watchdog, the
> installation ran just find as expected. After the first reboot the

Can you please open a bug on the qcontrol package and attach your
changes so that it can be fixed for the other ts219 pII users ?

> modified qcontrol binary had to be added to the system and the
> "watchdog" daemon from the repository is now used to keep the other
> watchdog happy.

on a side note, would be interesting to know also how to use the pic as
watchdog but I guess it's lower priority than having qcontrol being able
to disable it.

Arnaud