Re: Installing Debian on Qnap TS-219 PII

On 07/11/12 22:03, Hoshpak wrote:

I'm currently trying to install Debian GNU/Linux on a Qnap TS-219 PII which is based on the Marvell Sheeva platform. I followed the instructions which can be found at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/ so far, backed up the original firmware, downloaded the installer files and flashed them.

After rebooting the device, I am now able to log into the device using ssh and start the installer. The only problem is, after a few minutes the device resets itself thus aborting the installation process. This happens no matter if the installer is actually doing something or just waiting for input. Since the ssh-session is killed instantly when it happens, I couldn't find out what caused the device to reset itself.

This only happens when the Debian installer is loaded (I tried stable and testing so far) and not with the original firmware so I believe the device itself is just fine. Did anyone else experience this strange behaviour with this Qnap system or could think of possible reason or an alternative way to get the installation done?

It sounds to me like the hardware has a watchdog device, which automatically reboots it if it does not receive a magic signal from the OS at regular intervals.

These things are quite common on consumer embedded devices such as cable modems, as they help hide bugs in system software. A bug that would normally cause a hard lock-up will instead cause the device to reset, which the user might not notice if they where not using it at that moment.

Can you do some experiments to see how long after power on the reset happens? My guess is that it will be after a fixed interval.

You could also try taking the motherboard out an photographing it to see if anyone in the community can identify the offending component.

Linux does have support for many watchdog devices, so if we can identify which one you have, there is a reasonable chance that it can be built into the kernel, and fed the necessary signals to keep it happy.