Re: Installing Debian on Qnap TS-219 PII

Am 12.11.2012 13:37, schrieb Arnaud Patard "(Rtp):
> It would be interesting to look at how "pic_raw 103" is working. For
> instance, maybe booting the stock os, use pic_raw and then reboot may
> disable the watchdog. Unfortunately, uboot may restart/reconfigure the
> watchdog.

It seems pic_raw is just opening the character device /dev/pic and writes
single chars to it. Unfortunately, the pic driver seems to be specific
to the Qnap kernel and is not included in the mainline kernel so it
seems using pic_raw was off the table anyway.

> An other possibility is to try something like echo -n 'g' > /dev/ttyS1
> after booting the installer. This may be dangerous. I'm assuming that
> the PIC is connected on the serial port 1 and that pic_raw is only
> writing a char to the serial port like on other qnap. This may be wrong
> so it may 'upset' the ucontroller and break something.

Indeed this device seems to be the way to talk to it on a normal system.
After digging some more around I found qcontrol
(http://code.google.com/p/qcontrol/ ) which uses this to communicate
with the PIC to do things like fan control and beeping and is already
included in the Debian installer for the Qnap devices. It write the
hexadecimal representation of the decimal pic_raw commands to the
device. It was quite easy to add another function to write "0x67" which
effectively disabled the PIC watchdog. (If anyone wants to play with
qcontrol I would recommend using the Debian sources since they support
more devices than upstream)

So after recompiling qcontrol and disabling the PIC watchdog, the
installation ran just find as expected. After the first reboot the
modified qcontrol binary had to be added to the system and the
"watchdog" daemon from the repository is now used to keep the other
watchdog happy.

So finally, the system is properly installed and running. Thank you all
very much for your help and suggestions!

Helmut