Re: nvidia (graphics) driver pain

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:19:03PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> Could these be the cause of the strange behaviour:
>
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
> CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
> CONFIG_FB_SOFT_CURSOR=y
> CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

Certainly possible.  The nvidia driver is not compatible with the FB
drivers, while the nv driver is compatible with some of them.

Of course if you don't enable the vesa fb at boot it shouldn't cause a
problem but maybe it still messes things up.

> The problem shows up when the driver "nvidia" is enbled instead of
> the "nv" driver.

Well as I said, the nv driver does not have problems with some fb
drivers, while nvidia driver always does.