Re: nvidia (graphics) driver pain

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 07:52:12PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
> I've just tried that; it's a bit less comfortable for me because
> (as I indicated earlier) module-assistant doesn't seem to care
> about EXTRAVERSION and APPEND_TO_VERSION, so that it auto-installs
> the module in the *wrong* directory.  So that it must be moved to
> the correct place afterwards.

m-a has always made the kernel match the sources I point it at excactly.
It certainly seems to get the append_to_version and KD_REV correctly
when I have used it.  I have used it both with custom built kernels
(made with make-kpkg) and debian built kernels (made with who knows
what).

> Anyway, whatever, when loaded, and after "startx", my monitor
> says "No signal"...

Well that certainly isn't a driver build problem.  Maybe a conflict with
an FB driver if you happened to enable one in the kernel.  Or X is
configured wrong (very strange if it worked before though).

> I've been led to believe that "make-kpkg" was the debian way.
> It has certainly been around longer than "m-a". There must be more
> than one way to do it ;-)

make-kpkg builds the kernel (and optionally any modules you ask it to
build at the same time).  For building modules later or using only the
kernel-headers from a debian kernel, m-a is much nicer.  Not that doing
KD_REV=custom.1.0 KVERS=2.6.14-my-extra-stuff debian/rules binary-modules
in the module source dir won't accomplish the same thing in most cases.
m-a does take care of the KSRC, KVERS, KD_REV, CC, etc, which is rather
handy, and it is much shorter to type.  m-a a-i -t nvidia.

> Anyway, if you are willing to help solve my problem, please tell
> me what more specific information you need.

Maybe the X log file from the last run that makes the monitor loose
sync.  Does control+alt+backspace kill X fine and go back to the
console?