Re: Asus A8N-E: /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file

On 13:46 Wed 26 Oct     , Michael Neuffer wrote:
> Quoting Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org):
> >
> > I've built me an Asus A8N-E (nForce4 ultra chipset) system
> > after having read of successful Debian AMD64 installations.
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/09/msg00219.html
> >
> > Now I'm stuck with the usual
> >
> > /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >
> > on about every Debian-derived (just tried Ubuntu-server 5.10 AMD64),
> > system, including Sarge and daily Etch .iso builds.
> >
> > Before I spend some more time I don't have with this system,
> > does anyone have a magic modprobe, a pointer to an .iso that would
> > work out of the box, or is otherwise willing to help?
>

> This seems to be a problem with the "recent" kernels
> and the way the static dev -> devfs -> udev migrations
> are handeled.
>
> Your static /dev is very probably completely empty.
> Until recently the kernel would provide sufficient
> entries via devfs early on in the boot process even before
> init kicks in.
>
> Due to Gregh KHs crusade against devfs this is no longer
> the case and you have a problem.
>
> The fix is to boot from a live or recue CD,
> mount your root filesystem, cd into the mounted
> and empty dev directory and run "MAKEDEV update",
> maybe followed by a "MAKEDEV console" just to
> make sure that the console devices really get
> created and your static dev directory gets
> repopulated in general.

Yes if using udev then /dev is probably empty the first time.
Use knoppix or any rescue disk to mount the /dev and create the nodes:

mknod -m 660 /dev/console c 5 1
mknod -m 660 /dev/null c 1 3

That is enough to get you the console on the nest reboot.