Re: Asus A8N-E: /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file

Quoting Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org):

> I've built me an Asus A8N-E (nForce4 ultra chipset) system
> after having read of successful Debian AMD64 installations.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/09/msg00219.html
>
> Now I'm stuck with the usual
>
> /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>
> on about every Debian-derived (just tried Ubuntu-server 5.10 AMD64),
> system, including Sarge and daily Etch .iso builds.
>
> Before I spend some more time I don't have with this system,
> does anyone have a magic modprobe, a pointer to an .iso that would
> work out of the box, or is otherwise willing to help?

This seems to be a problem with the "recent" kernels
and the way the static dev -> devfs -> udev migrations
are handeled.

Your static /dev is very probably completely empty.
Until recently the kernel would provide sufficient
entries via devfs early on in the boot process even before
init kicks in.

Due to Gregh KHs crusade against devfs this is no longer
the case and you have a problem.

The fix is to boot from a live or recue CD,
mount your root filesystem, cd into the mounted
and empty dev directory and run "MAKEDEV update",
maybe followed by a "MAKEDEV console" just to
make sure that the console devices really get
created and your static dev directory gets
repopulated in general.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
   Mike