gpm problems

Not only gpm doesn't start at boot time, but after a while, randomly,
it completely freezes the machine once activated. It happens with every
kernel 2.6.x I tried since my first pure64 installation.

I'm quite sure that gpm is the culprit as since I removed it my system
is pretty stable.

It doesn't happen on the i686 box where gpm works fine since ages.

Any ideas?

--
 <@,@>  Il corpo del povero cadrebbe subito in pezzi
 [`-']  se non fosse legato ben stretto dal filo dei sogni