Re: New netinst iso

Dmitry Derjavin <dd@farpost.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 19 2005 at 19:18, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> D-I defaults to use sarge and complains if not found. For that
>> reason even the sid CDs use sarge. I also added links for testing,
>> sid, unstable to cover all bases.
>
> Just to be clear:
>
> 1. If installed from sid-amd64-netinst.iso (apt is pointed to testing)
>    -- is it sarge or sid?

The sid netinst contains sid base debs. Anything going beyond that
depends on where you pointed apt to. By default D-I will put testing
in your sources.list so if you pointed apt to /debian-pure64/ you get
sarge, if you pointed it to /pure64/ you get sid.

> 2. If I installed the system from sid-amd64-netinst.iso and want to
>    use sarge -- do I need to downgrade libc6 or do something else?

Depends on what libc6 you have, which depends on the date you've
gotten the image. You do not have to downgrade libc6 for any reason
but that libc6-dev depends on an equal version of libc6. So when
installing libc6-dev you might have to downgrade libc6 to match,
apt-get will tell you.

> 3. What is the difference between installations from sarge and sid
>    netinst iso.

Hmm, good question. Mount them both and compare. Doing a quick diff
on the Packages file I see 60 differences in versions.

> Thanks!
>
> PS: Thanks for uploading md5sums.

MfG
        Goswin