Re: DivX

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 18:53, Peter Watkinson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a Div X player for Alpha Linux. I don't know to much about DivX is it sort of like avi for Windows or Real player? Is it not owned by anyone in particular a bit like mp3?
There are. There's Mplayer. It uses ffmpeg. There was a thread on this
some 2 months ago, I think. One of the Debian developers, Falk Hueffner,
made available some patched version that works for me.

By now, another player, Xine, also works. I use Sid, though. I'm not
sure the version in Woody plays DivX correctly on alpha.

So, it appears you have a choice :-)

> Also does anyone think we will ever get java support in the Web browser?

I _think_ we probably will, eventually. But it might be quite a while.
No clues there...

Dannis.