Re: upgrade option

On Fri 04 Aug 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> I noticed that :-P  It's funny, though, how relatively undocumented RPM
> really is.  Having not used RPM for about two years before my last job, I
> couldn't remember anything about it other than 'rpm -i'.  Finding more
> docs on the real-world operation of RPM was akin to going to the dentist.

I saw someone with a book once. About as thick as the
sendmail "bat" book, called "Maximum RPM" I believe.
I think that a program that requires a book that thick
_must_ suck (yes, I consider sendmail in that category :-)

> I know.  When apt first came around, I was amazed and it just keeps
> getting better.  It's sooooo easy to upgrade one package, a few, or an
> entire system, all while using the sources that you wish for package
> retrieval.

Unfortunately, apt-get doesn't cooperate with a number of
"transparant" proxies. I've debugged it down to the fact
that apt-get over http wants a keep-open connection, and
the proxy changes that into a one-connection-per-transfer
system. apt-get then barfs with the error "bad http header".
Oh well. I worked around it with ssh port forwarding :-)
I should sometime document the problem more and submit a bug.

> definitely good) and a few other things.  The developer tools are also
> much better, IMO (I really hate .spec files...is it just me or are they
> more difficult to deal with than the debian/ dir stuff?).

I have no idea, and no intention of finding out :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/