Re: upgrade option

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > Argh, rpm is really that stupid that you have to tell it when it's
> > upgrading?!

There's more, if you pass RPM the -U flag (for upgrade) it will upgrade
existing RPMs and install any you don't have installed. If you just want
to upgrade what you already have installed you need -F (for Freshen!).

> Yep.  Worst thing is, it's still not guaranteed that it won't replace
> configuration files upon "upgrade".

right, if you're lucky you end up with a configfile.rpmsave, which is
better than nothing except when you reboot it then starts all of your
daemons with the default config files not your config file.

> > I'm __so__ glad the debian alpha port was already usable
> > (although it wasn't "release-ready for more than a year, and still better
> > than the RH product) when I first got my alpha, and had fought with the
> > RH install for a month :-)
>
> Hehehe...yeah, it kinda sucked when I first came into it.  At the time, we
> were still patching dpkg to get it to compile :-)  And I won't give the
> history on gcc.... :-)
>
> > Imagine what RH users will think of "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade"
> > :-)

Well, as a RedHat user I can tell you that I'm impressed. I've started
setuping up some machines at work with Debian (with some help from
Chris...thanks) and so far things are looking good. I'm still learning
about the wonders of dpkg and co.... but apt-get is just marvelous.

I must admit that RPM is better than nothing, but it looks like a toy
compared to dpkg.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne