Re: upgrade option

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Rich Payne wrote:

> There's more, if you pass RPM the -U flag (for upgrade) it will upgrade
> existing RPMs and install any you don't have installed. If you just want
> to upgrade what you already have installed you need -F (for Freshen!).

I noticed that :-P  It's funny, though, how relatively undocumented RPM
really is.  Having not used RPM for about two years before my last job, I
couldn't remember anything about it other than 'rpm -i'.  Finding more
docs on the real-world operation of RPM was akin to going to the dentist.

> right, if you're lucky you end up with a configfile.rpmsave, which is
> better than nothing except when you reboot it then starts all of your
> daemons with the default config files not your config file.

Yeah, IF YOU'RE LUCKY :-P  I wasn't in the case of an inetd upgrade, which
hosed one of our servers until I messed with it.  Luckily, I'm a good
sysadmin and backed up all of the conf files before doing the upgrade.

> Well, as a RedHat user I can tell you that I'm impressed. I've started
> setuping up some machines at work with Debian (with some help from
> Chris...thanks) and so far things are looking good. I'm still learning
> about the wonders of dpkg and co.... but apt-get is just marvelous.

I know.  When apt first came around, I was amazed and it just keeps
getting better.  It's sooooo easy to upgrade one package, a few, or an
entire system, all while using the sources that you wish for package
retrieval.

> I must admit that RPM is better than nothing, but it looks like a toy
> compared to dpkg.

Dpkg could use improvement, but I personally think it's light years ahead
of rpm.  We're really working on signed packages (which RPM has and is
definitely good) and a few other things.  The developer tools are also
much better, IMO (I really hate .spec files...is it just me or are they
more difficult to deal with than the debian/ dir stuff?).