Re: stack smashing detected

Hi Michael,

On 2/17/23 1:31 PM, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> 'dpkg hold' should mark packages so apt won't consider them for
> upgrading. You may want to check what other packages depend on newer
> versions of sysvinit before attempting that (search for 'sysvinit-utils
> (>=' in the Packages files in /var/lib/apt/lists) before attempting that.
>

>> Do you know whether there is some location where all of the older binary
>> packages are saved? If there is, I can download and check versions
>> between 3.01-2 and 3.06-2 and determine where the issue started.
>
> snapshot.debian.org is what you want. 15 versions to bisect ...

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Looking at the source code (thanks, Adrian!) for sysvinit-3.06-2, I see
"-fstack-protector-strong" in the "override CFLAGS" line of
src/Makefile. Removing that and running make at the top level,
everything compiled. I copied src/init to the IIfx as /sbin/init, but
there were still stack smashing errors, so I tried again, also removing
optimization (deleted "-O2" from CFLAGS in src/Makefile) -- no change. I
noticed that /sbin/init seems to ignore SIGABRT, so I thought that might
mean that init itself was somehow triggering the stack smashing but
nothing was really aborting, but I could be wrong about that. I'll
revert back to the original 3.06-2 /sbin/init and look at the versions
in snapshot.debian.org and attempt a bisect.

-Stan