Re: stack smashing detected

Hi Michael,

On 2/16/23 4:10 PM, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> 'apt-get source sysvinit=3.06-2' will download and unpack that specific
> version. That should unpack the source in sysvinit-3.06-2/.

That doesn't work for me:
# apt-get source sysvinit=3.06-2
Reading package lists... Done
E: You must put some 'deb-src' URIs in your sources.list

Adding this to /etc/apt/sources.list doesn't help (same error):
deb-src http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ sid main

Running "apt-get update", I see:
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/source/Sources' as
repository 'http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports sid InRelease' does
not seem to provide it (sources.list entry misspelt?)

So I might not be pointing to the right source repository. Would
downloading the source from an x86 repository be sufficient, or do I
need patches that are specific to m68k?

> To add compile options, look at the patches in debian/patches/ there -
> haven't found the 3.06-2 version, but older versions have a patch to add
> additional CFLAGS to src/Makefile. Add a new patch in debian/patches/,
> add that patch file name to debian/patches/series and use
> dpkg-buildpackage to build the package.

If I can download the source, I'll do that.

Just to confirm that an earlier version (3.01-2) doesn't cause the stack
smashing errors with an otherwise up-to-date Debian SID, I can restore
from an earlier backup and run "apt-get upgrade", though I would want to
"keep back" sysvinit-core 3.01-2 and sysvinit-utils 3.01-2. Please let
me know how to keep back a package from being upgraded.

Do you know whether there is some location where all of the older binary
packages are saved? If there is, I can download and check versions
between 3.01-2 and 3.06-2 and determine where the issue started.

thanks

-Stan