RE: Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

Hi again,

I have some progress :)

> It looks like it has something to do with the harddisk size. I did
> another test with a 2GB harddrive, 512 MB AFFS and the rest free. This
> time the partition tool was able to detect the partitions and create the
> new ones [2].

I was able to overcome the issue this way: I removed every partition on the HDD except the AFFS boot one and let the d-i repartition the rest of the drive. That worked well, shows my full partition scheme and let me select the partitions to format, filesystem and mount points [1].

Afterwards it proceeds to install the base system, but eventually hangs up in one of the "Retrieving xxxxx" packages, never going beyond 6% due to seek errors on the CD-ROM through A1200 Gayle IDE driver (I guess due to something odd in the emulation).

I guess my best bet would be to try the hd-media initrd, but I tried to copy the ISO to a FAT16 partition in the Amiga RDB disk and the d-i was not able to detect it. Going to the console, it looks like the system is not able mount FAT or ext2 volumes at that stage; so I am a bit a loss how to continue from there. Since I do not have a real CD drive on the Amiga 1200, the hd-media option for installing Debian would be my only option on real hardware. I would be thankful if someone could point me in the right direction to use it and install the system without CD drive.

I tried the nativehd image as well, but there are not Amiga network drivers that the needed stage of the d-i, so that one is not usable.

Regards,
Carlos

[1] https://i.postimg.cc/HxZr0TjQ/amiga-linux-4.png