Re: Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

Hello Carlos!

On 8/18/21 3:09 AM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
> First, thank you for the great work you do with the NetInst images for m68k,
> I really appreciate the effort of keeping Linux alive on this architecture.

You're welcome.

> I should have on my hands shortly a 060 accelerator for my Amiga 1200 that would
> allow me to test the image on real hardware. Meanwhile I tested it on WinUAE and
> it looks like most of the installation is working correctly. However I am hitting
> some difficulties with the disk partitioning.
>
> Before running the kernel and debian-installer I set up my harddrive with HDToolbox
> as told in [1].

Those installation instructions are ancient, so I don't recommend following them.

You should let the installer partition your hard disk, just let the Amiga create
the the affs partitions.

> It looks like the kernel can identify correctly my partition scheme as seen in [2]
> and... although the partitioner tool in the installer recognizes the harddisk at
> /dev/hda, it is not able to identify any existing partitions, as seen in [3].

You should switch to another console during installation and check the output of

$ cat /proc/partitions

> A test I was able to complete successfully is to open an installer console (ALT+F2)
> and format my partition /dev/hda3 with mkfs.ext2. I can also mount it on the console.
> However, regardless of that, the installer partitioner won't detect it. Is there
> something that I am missing?

No, this should not happen. I have no clue though what the issue is, I would have to
reproduce this issue myself.

> Some additional information:
> 	* Harddisk size: 32 GB
> 		- /dev/hda1 AFFS    - 518 MB
> 		- /dev/hda2 AFFS    - 12 GB
> 		- /dev/hda3 LNX\0  - 8 GB
> 		- /dev/hda4 SWP\0 - 512 MB
> 		- /dev/hda5 NBR\0  - 8 GB
> 		- /dev/hda6 NBS\0  - 512 MB
> 	* Emulated Amiga: 1200
> 	* ROM: 3.2 (the new one from Hyperion)

I don't know whether there are any compatibility issues with ROM version 3.2
as it has never been tested. Although I have these ROM versions myself in my
storage place.

FWIW, I never personally had success installing Debian on UAE but I haven't
tested that for a while.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz