RE: Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

Hi Adrian,

> You should let the installer partition your hard disk, just let the
> Amiga create the the affs partitions.

But in any case the installer should detect existing partitions, right? I don't want to delete my AmigaOS install on the AFFS partitions :)

> $ cat /proc/partitions

It properly shows the partitions [1].

> I don't know whether there are any compatibility issues with ROM version
> 3.2 as it has never been tested. Although I have these ROM versions
> myself in my storage place.

It looks like it has something to do with the harddisk size. I did another test with a 2GB harddrive, 512 MB AFFS and the rest free. This time the partition tool was able to detect the partitions and create the new ones [2].

My guess is that the problem is on the tool, as the kernel is able to properly detect the partitions regardless of the size and I am able to work with them from the console. I will have to research a bit more to know where the limit is actually. Is there any procedure to bypass that stage in the installer and do it manually through the console?

> FWIW, I never personally had success installing Debian on UAE but I
> haven't tested that for a while.

Toni Willen did (and does) a wonderful job in WinUAE and since several versions ago the needed emulation code to run GNU/Linux m68k or NetBSD/amiga is already in place. I don't know if non-Windows versions of UAE are on same emulation level; it looks like WinUAE is so advanced that there are people who prefer to keep using it under Linux through Wine.

Regards,
Carlos

[1] https://i.postimg.cc/Hk7734zK/amiga-linux-2.png
[2] https://i.postimg.cc/bwWHbZmR/amiga-linux-3.png