Re: kullervo

Am 24.01.2013 um 16:18 schrieb "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org>:

>> Sure. Just choose a partition for LVM and do a pvcreate /dev/sdXY, pvcreate & lvcreate.
> And the idea is with LVM I can quickly create snapshots for building, user
> chroots, etc? How much space should a chroot then receive, how much should I
> leave for the snapshots? The partiton I would use has 160GB.

I use between 4 and 12 GB for buildd chroot and between 2 and 4 GB for the snapshots.
The process is that you have a chroot origin and then the buildd (or more likely: schroot) creates a LVM snapshot, mount proc, dev, sysfs and such within the snapshot and starts the build in that snapshot.

Theoretically you could spawn other chroots from that single origin.

> deboostrap is slooooow... it took four hours to get to the same point, and
> fail again. I had mounted proc and sysfs before running debootstrap, but I
> think the actual problem is that some libraries are missing in the chroot
> system:

As Thorsten already stated: I think you'll need to use multistrap or so.

>> There seems to be some information about amiboot on ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/v2.0/boot/amiboot-4.0.README including information about memfile. I guess Geert can better comment on amiboot questions.
> I will have a look later. But the kernel is ignoring some memory, maybe it
> is this. Or the kernel uses too much, but this is only 5MB, the video uses 640K:
> [    0.000000] Memory: 109452k/109452k available (2740k kernel code, 2372k data, 124k init)
> [    0.710000] fb0: Amiga ECS frame buffer device, using 640K of video memory

AFAIK the kernel uses the memory with highest priority. The memory on accel cards have a higher priority (40) than the onboard fastmem (20) or the chip mem (0). I remember a kernel config option to use only a single memory chunk.
As always: I can mostly speak about how Amigas handle the stuff, not what Linux will make of this.

--
Ciao...            //      Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo       \X/       http://blog.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc