Re: Problems with self-compiled kernel

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 14:45, Björn Buske wrote:
> "Christian T. Steigies" wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if you want to use that. You should have a
> > /boot/config-2.2.20-atari or similar on your system. That comes from the
> > kernel that was installed on your system (by the boot-floppies). Start with
> > that, since that is the config that is running on your box. The other config
> > looks pretty old to me.
>
> I don't think that the config is the problem, since I've successfully
> configured and compiled a number of kernels already on various older dists
> running on the same machine, so I know what I'm doing there.
>
> > Use gcc272 as Richard said, I thought the kernel patches already force you
> > to use gcc272?
>
> This really might be it. All the other dists I had running before had a gcc
> 2.7.2 installed. On this particular one, there is only 2.95.4 and 3.0.4
> already installed. I have the gcc272 package. Can I safely "apt-get" that
> without it destroying my existing 2.95.4 setup (since that version seems to be
> fine for just about everything else I want to compile, and some stuff even
> needs at least 2.8... to compile)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Björn

I've used 2.95.4 to compile all the kernel versions for the m68k Macs
since 2.2.20 without problems.  I have Woody installed on my Quadra 650
and have used 2.95.4 to compile the recent 2.2.22 and 2.2.23 kernels I
make available for the 68k Macs on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/   I haven't had any
problems running the resulting kernels on 12 different 68k Macs.
Incidentally you can get the 2.2.23 source code from
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/linux-mac68k
You'll want the linux-2_2 branch.  I'm not aware of any 2.2 level
patches for Ataris or Amigas that are not already in this repository.

Ray