Re: Problems with self-compiled kernel

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> I am not sure if you want to use that. You should have a
> /boot/config-2.2.20-atari or similar on your system. That comes from the
> kernel that was installed on your system (by the boot-floppies). Start with
> that, since that is the config that is running on your box. The other config
> looks pretty old to me.

I don't think that the config is the problem, since I've successfully
configured and compiled a number of kernels already on various older dists
running on the same machine, so I know what I'm doing there.

> Use gcc272 as Richard said, I thought the kernel patches already force you
> to use gcc272?

This really might be it. All the other dists I had running before had a gcc
2.7.2 installed. On this particular one, there is only 2.95.4 and 3.0.4
already installed. I have the gcc272 package. Can I safely "apt-get" that
without it destroying my existing 2.95.4 setup (since that version seems to be
fine for just about everything else I want to compile, and some stuff even
needs at least 2.8... to compile)?

Thanks,

Björn