Re: DNS failure

Ron Flory wrote:
> > order hosts,bind
>
>  Right (note: 'order', not 'oder' [chuckle...]).

Did I typo that one? Might have forced a message from the resolver I hope.

> Also /etc/resolv.conf should have look something like this (the second
> line is the important one):
>
>   search rjf.net ifrsys.com
>   nameserver 127.0.0.1 204.233.71.1

The 'domain' looked a bit unfamiliar but I had no Linux around to check.
I'd leave out 127.0.0.1 unless you're sure there's a server running
and properly set up just as cache, not as authoritative for anything :-)

> > > BTW, during boot I get "Unexpected IRQ3" messages.  During PPP I get
> > > "Unexpected IRQ5" messages.  Neither seems to effect anything.  Is this a
> > > remnant of x86 code?
> >
> > Nope, some strange hardware in your box Linux doesn't know about.
>
>  Yea, I've never seen this, and I'd take a closer look...

Please do. You'll need to break into Apple's HQ or take a logic analyzer
to the hardware. AFAIK that machine should only use IPL 1,2 and 4 (maybe
6 for the offswitch). Only AV Macs use 3 and 5 for all I know.