Re: Speed problems with PX-716A

Joerg Schilling wrote:

The inofficial DVD patch for cdrecord is known to break cdrecord so I would
not call it free, except "free of benefit".
Listen, I don't want to make a debate about what is free or not. I meant Free (with a capital F), as Free-software, not as free beer. I am enough aware of what is open-source and free software. You wrote this list was not for support of other versions than the ProDVD product. This is false, this list is a Debian list for CD writing in general, that is used by you, as the cdrecord author, but also by others (dvd+rw-tools, growisofs). So if I can bring any help for cdrecord, either the Free version, either your ProDVD proprietary version, I would be glad and everybody will benefit. But please don't try to be misleading.

Anyway, I just tried cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu and I have the same problem.

???

1) cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu is outdated
Fair enough, but I followed the link that is on your own webpage:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
wich directs to:
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord

I cannot find any later version. Please provide a link so that I could try it.

2) Do you have a problem that you did not send in your mail?
  cdrecord definitely will not print the same as you did mail.....
With the cdrecord-prodvd I downloaded here:
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu

I get this exact output:

./cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu driveropts=help -checkdrive dev=ATA:1,0,0 Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01b31 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Unlocked features:
Limited  features:
scsidev: 'ATA:1,0,0'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-716A  '
Revision       : '1.04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: This version of cdrecord limits DVD-R/DVD-RW support to -dummy or 1 GB real. Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: If you need full DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD. Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Driver options:
burnfree        Prepare writer to use BURN-Free technology
noburnfree      Disable using BURN-Free technology

Driver options specific to Plextor with a DVD-/+R in the drive do not appear.

Regards,
Eric