Speed problems with PX-716A

Hi,

This is a bug report I sent first to k3b team (KD bugzilla #97992). However, this may concern growisofs/cdrtools/kernel, so I send a copy of it here. Sorry if I report too many things, but this may interest growisofs authors, at least for the speed command part (I guess).

I have got a PX-716A DVD burner, latest firmware (1.04) and latest version of cdrtools, growisofs, k3b:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01-dvd
growisofs by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 5.21,
 front-ending to mkisofs: mkisofs 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Qt: 3.3.3
KDE: 3.3.2
K3b: 0.11.19

There are some issues with the different software, probably I shall have to post this bug report on a lot of mailing list because they may lie in the different software.

1) K3b setup reports the PX-716A as non-capable of DVD+R(W) burning. However, this is false, and k3b is able to do it. K3B bug ?

2) When trying to burn a DVD+R(W), I have to force the media to be used, despite it is correctly detected (DVD+R (empty) is displayed on window). K3B bug ?

3) Possible speeds are correctly detected. However, using Verbatim DVD+R 8X certified (MMC 003), despite I select 4X, 6X or 8X, it tries to burn at 12X. I have to select either 1X before speed detection (-speed 1 is sent by growisofs). the growisofs command has the correct -speed=8 (or else) switch but tries to burn at 12X. Workaround : select 1X then -speed=1 will make it burn at 4X, or ignore, then it will correctly burn the media at 8X, the certified speed for that media. Growisofs bug ?

4) Only root can burn a second or subsequent DVD. This is a kernel bug, which has been solved. See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110599420505734&w=2

5) Issue with driveropts detection of this drive:
as root, with empty tray, 'cdrecord driveropts=help -checkdrive dev=ATA:1,0,0' reports:
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-716A  '
Revision       : '1.04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Driver options:
burnfree        Prepare writer to use BURN-Free technology
noburnfree      Disable using BURN-Free technology
varirec=val     Set VariRec Laserpower to -2, -1, 0, 1, 2
               Only works for audio and if speed is set to 4
gigarec=val Set GigaRec capacity ratio to 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4
forcespeed      Tell the drive to force speed even for low quality media
speedread       Tell the drive to read as fast as possible
nospeedread     Disable to wead as fast as possible
singlesession   Tell the drive to behave as single session only drive
nosinglesession Disable single session only mode
hidecdr         Tell the drive to hide CD-R media
nohidecdr       Disable hiding CD-R media

However, as root, WITH a DVD-/+R in it:
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-716A  '
Revision       : '1.04'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: Found DVD media: using cdr_mdvd.
Using Session At Once (SAO) for DVD mode.
Using Session At Once (SAO) for DVD mode.
Using Session At Once (SAO) for DVD mode.
Driver options:
burnfree        Prepare writer to use BURN-Free technology
noburnfree      Disable using BURN-Free technology

I get the same answer for a user, either with or without a CD in it.

Maybe a cdrtools/cdrecord problem ?

I hope this helps.
Thanks
Eric