Re: growisofs + DVD+R + Plextor708A

> | > My first attempt at burning a DVD+R without any options whatsoever to
> | > growisofs resulted in a 5.9-6.0 speed right away. I'm sorry to say that
> | > after a couple of hundred MB, the burning process stopped mysteriously,
> |
> | Do save error outputs as well as check kernel log or explicitly say "no
> | error messages whatsoever" were produced. I mean avoid such words as
> | "mysteriously" in reports:-)
>
> I'm sorry I used 'mysteriously'.
      ^^^^^ It wasn't my intention. I should have written "avoid using
such words as "mysteriously" *alone* in reports," as that's what I
meant. The fact that no errors were shown or logged is indeed
mysterious, but reassurance that this is actually the case is absolutely
essential.

> | As for growisofs failing with "Failed to change write speed:
> | 8310->5540." It's known issue, see
> | http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite-200402/msg00094.html for
> | details and temporary workaround, and will be addressed at some point in
> | some way.
> Thanks for the pointer. This is indeed the behavior I have observed also
> (ie, -speed= setting makes growisofs exit, but using no -speed
>  afterwards yields the desired burning speed)

If you burn a lot, you might as well choose to modify code to
effectively convert the error to a warning (as mentioned in the referred
post).

> | > $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z/dev/cd0=image
> | > Executing 'builtin_dd if=image of=/dev/pass1 obs=32k seek=0'
> | > /dev/pass1: "Current Write Speed" is 6.1x1385KBps.
> | >          0/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
> | >     262144/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0.1x, remaining 2945:44
> | >     262144/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14728:43
> |
> I've already showed mediainfo for this particular media;

There was only one dvd+rw-mediainfo output, for blank media, right after
"Failed to change write speed" in originating post. Was it it? If media
remained blank, then you might be able to re-use it... Note that the
question essentially was "I *would* *like* to see," so if you can't spot
that particular media, just drop the question. A.