Re: growisofs + DVD+R + Plextor708A

Pav, Andy, (others),

Some more feedback. Pav requested that I try the unit in another OS. I
have installed Windows2000 (Servicepacks and blah) and used Nero. I
have succesfully burned an image at 8x, taking 63 minutes. The drive
underruns a lot and is therefor slow in burning. It does work though.

To do this I reformatted the ata100 disk to NTFS.

| > >                                                    ^^^^ This must be the
Thanks for the pointer! Using atacontrol I have set the speed of the
DVDR to udma33 and the DVDROM to udma100. The disk was indeed at udam100
already:

$ sudo atacontrol mode 0
Master = UDMA100 		; 80G ata100 drive
Slave  = BIOSPIO		; Empty
$ sudo atacontrol mode 1
Master = UDMA33 		; DVDR (cd0)
Slave  = UDMA100		; DVDROM (cd1)

My first attempt at burning a DVD+R without any options whatsoever to
growisofs resulted in a 5.9-6.0 speed right away. I'm sorry to say that
after a couple of hundred MB, the burning process stopped mysteriously,
growisofs closed the session, the disk and afterthat the pass device.

I may be experiencing NTFS quirks, so I've just reformatted the ata100
disk with ufs and I'll give it another spin tomorrow when I'm at work
again.

I'm sure that setting the DVDR to udma was a very good idea, though. Is
there anything else we need to check this out ? Pav, if you contact me
offlist, I can send you some units of this particular media so you can
test ?

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl