Re: growisofs + DVD+R + Plextor708A

Hi Andy,

| > Some more feedback. Pav requested that I try the unit in another OS. I
| > have installed Windows2000 (Servicepacks and blah) and used Nero. I
| > have succesfully burned an image at 8x, taking 63 minutes.
|
| You mean it said it *intended* to record at 8x and recorded at ~1x, as
| 63 minutes sounds as ~1x, less actually...
This is correct.

[snip (udma)]
| Engaging DMA and hoping for the best is the only
| sensible thing to do.

| > My first attempt at burning a DVD+R without any options whatsoever to
| > growisofs resulted in a 5.9-6.0 speed right away. I'm sorry to say that
| > after a couple of hundred MB, the burning process stopped mysteriously,
|
| Do save error outputs as well as check kernel log or explicitly say "no
| error messages whatsoever" were produced. I mean avoid such words as
| "mysteriously" in reports:-) One way or another it sounds like media
| problem. Bad batch maybe? It even might be a counterfeit media. At least
| Maxell DVD-R brand was exposed to counterfeit attempt, you can't be sure
| that it won't happen again with some other brand. How does media
| emballage look like?
I'm sorry I used 'mysteriously'. What I meant is that the process indeed
does not log anything (console or kernel), and simply decides that it was
finished while it had only burned a fraction of the image (which was
indeed a mistery to me..).

This may be a bad batch of media; allthough out of the 25 discs, 6 have
failed due to various 6x/8x writing attempts and now that I've setup
udma33 and use 4x speed, i've written 4 DVDs without problems.

| As for growisofs failing with "Failed to change write speed:
| 8310->5540." It's known issue, see
| http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite-200402/msg00094.html for
| details and temporary workaround, and will be addressed at some point in
| some way.
Thanks for the pointer. This is indeed the behavior I have observed also
(ie, -speed= setting makes growisofs exit, but using no -speed
 afterwards yields the desired burning speed)

| > $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z/dev/cd0=image
| > Executing 'builtin_dd if=image of=/dev/pass1 obs=32k seek=0'
| > /dev/pass1: "Current Write Speed" is 6.1x1385KBps.
| >          0/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??
| >     262144/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0.1x, remaining 2945:44
| >     262144/4633516032 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 14728:43
|
| Essentially it's OK that recording gets stuck in the beginning (time
| required for initialization procedure and inevitably longer than the
| time to initially fill the buffer up), but I suppose you waited long
| enough (a minute maybe)... I wonder how does dvd+rw-mediainfo output
| look like for this media. A.
You are correct in assuming that I have waited long (2 minutes or so).
I've already showed mediainfo for this particular media;

To wrap up this thread, it seems like my machine cannot cope with 8x
burning [on this media] that well. When setting the speed to 4x,
(using mentioned workaround) burning works excellent again, without any
noticable impact on system performance whatsoever.

Andy, thanks a lot for your insights. Pav, check your mail!
--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl