V Status report

I've been on spring break, and now have to have knee surgery due to an
earlier ski accident, so I'll be "down" for a while - probably 2 or 3 weeks before
I'll feel much like work.

My plans:

As soon as I'm back up to steam, I'll switch this list to the source forge site. The
sourceforge list is already there, but I have to update the VGUI web pages
for instructions on how to subscribe. (Actually, I think they are already
available on SourceForge.) V will have an alternative URL: vgui.org which
goes directly to the sourceforge site, but I probably will continue to use
objectcentral as the main public site.

During my rehab, I will be catching up on the latest C++ standard and
the standard library (I've been off on Java for a year or two, and haven't
kept up with the latest C++ stuff). What this seems to mean for now
is that V 2.0 will switch to using the new standard C++ library, and
probably switch to its own namespace, (vgui, obviously). This is the
one thing that will likely break old V programs. I intend to preserve
all the char* calls, but add equivalent string versions. I don't think
I want to maintain dual header files, however, and this will
likely require existing V programs to change #includes and
add "using vgui" statements. This seem pretty minor and mechanical,
however. Some new features (tree lists) may require strings
over char*, however.

And the consensus seems to be to abandon MDI on Windows.
This will be a pretty invisible change to existing source code, so
should rally have minimal impact. Actually, I think VIDE may be
the main MDI V app around, and I've always liked the X version
of VIDE better anyway.

So, I really hope to get some serious work on V started in about
a month. I am likely to seem invisible for  this time, however.

--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework

e-mail: mailto:bruce@objectcentral.com