New versions of VIDE and winutils available

I've uploaded new, virus-free versions of VIDE and
the winutils package to the ObjectCentral ftp site.

Again, I apologize for releasing infected software.
I've instituted new procedures, and will be more
diligent about keeping my own machine virus-free
in the future. I've really learned a lesson here.
If you download ANY software from the WEB, you
simply must have a virus checker. Even restricting
yourself to supposedly reliable sites will not
prevent this. I have some evidence, based on my
backup CD-Rs, that I got the virus by downloading
a new driver for some obscure hardware I have. I will
follow up with the driver provider.

In the end, we can all thank Microsoft for this
problem. Allowing user apps to take over system
calls, designing .EXE file formats that allow
viruses to hide themselves, and just generally
ignoring security is all thanks to the corporate
culture of Microsoft. Notice that you hardly
ever hear about Linux viruses.

Thanks to everyone who let me know about the
infected .EXE's I released. Everyone was most polite
and helpful.
--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework