Virus Warning

Somehow or another, and I haven't figured out the source
yet, my development machine was infected with the
CIH virus for Windows 95/98.  NT and Linux are immune.

I posted an executable version of VIDE, as well as a
new helper package of a bunch of Unix tools. (Actually,
I suspect this is where the virus came from. I was
trying to find a good, small working version of
gzip/gunzip, and tried versions from a bunch of
sources.)

It the past, I've found antiVirus software very
intrusive to use, so I've been lax. I can't apologize
enough for spreading this very very nasty virus.

If you downloaded and ran VIDE or one of the
utilities in the winutils.zip file from the
ObjectCentral site since last Monday, then
your machine will be infected. The virus makes
itself memory resident, and then attaches itself
to ANY .exe file you run. On the 26th of every
month, it will try to do serious damage to your
flash BIOS and hard disk.

See
http://www.virusbtn.com/VirusInformation/cih.html
for info about this Virus.

I am taking steps to see that I post clean
.exes in the future. Guess that's why I only
posted source code in the past!
--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework