MS VC++ 6.0 hints

I gave in to Redmond, and actually bought a copy of MSVC++ 6.0.
The 1.22b3 library actually compiled quite nicely with virtually
no changes. Some of the apps were a different story - the main problem
is MS reverting to old style loop variable semantics. What a stupid
stupid thing to do! I changed a bunch of code to use different
var names for loops to allow the default syntax to be used with
MS, even though it is wrong wrong wrong.

I will be posting v122b3 very soon (I hope today) that has project
files for MSVC++6 included, as well as the changes, and additional
documentation. In the mean time, here is what I had to do.

The following are some of the things required to get V to compile with
MSVC++ 6.0
(These notes are based on using the Standard Edition. They could be
different for the
Professional versions. I don't claim to be an MSVC++ expert, and any
better usage
notes would be appreciated.)

    The example workspace files assume V is found at C:\V. The following
notes
    assume the same. Change references to C:\V to wherever you've
installed V.
    You will generally create a new, blank workspace for your projects.

    To enable the compiler to find V header files, add C:\v\includew
under
    Additional include directories under the C/C++ tab of the Project
Settings
    dialog.

    One way for the linker to find the V library is to add vlib.lib as
the first
    file in the Object/library modules item of the Link tab of the
settings dialog.

    You then need to add C:\v\msvc6\vlib\release (or whereever
    you've built the V library) to the Additional library path item. You
can specify
    separate paths for debug and release versions of the V library if
you need to, or
    simply use the release version for the "All Comfigurations"
settings. There might
    be easier ways to specify how to use the V library, but this way
worked for me.
    Important: You must add comctl32.lib to the Object/library modules
    list in the Link tab of the settings dialog. You can add this to the
"All
    Configurations" settings if you wish.

    If when you try to build the .exe of your project you get messages
about
    incompatible library uses, add the names of the libraries listed to
the Ignore
    libraries: item of the Link tab of the Project Settings dialog.
--

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework

e-mail: mailto:bruce@objectcentral.com